Quirky Questions Interviewers Ask — And How to Weasel Out of Them

on 10:45 PM

You've probably read all the job search books and reviewed your answers for the standard questions you expect to be asked on an interview. But what about those questions from left field? The ones you didn't expect. These can be the most difficult because they will demonstrate how well you think on your feet. They may also be so charming or disarming that you may fall prey to the interviewer's trap and reveal aspects of yourself or your personality that you weren't prepared to come clean about.
1. "What are you reading lately?" I was asked this by three different federal judges in interviews for legal clerkships. I told them what novels I was reading. One judge never heard of Tom McGuane, another said I was reading only western Montanan authors, and the third knew the novel's author and also shared my tastes in journalism (New Yorker, New Republic, etc) - Anne Marie, 
Our advice: It is best to think always in terms of how the question relates to the job at hand. Better than proposing novels you are reading would be law related journals and books that are hot in your field. While you might just find an interviewer who understands your taste in literature, the question really suggests that the interviewer wants to know how up-to-date you are in the field.
 
2. I am hearing "where would you like to be X years from now" and have tried to handle it with humor (which is the truth, i.e. "ideally living in a tropical climate on lottery winnings...") but I would be interested to know how a professional would broach this question. - Suesan, 
Our advice: Your instincts are right! Always think of the question behind the question. What do they really want to know? "Five years from now I see myself continuing to work hard and doing the best possible job I can." This answer tells the interviewer that you are a hard worker and that you have high standards. You might also offer a caveat that you intend to continue learning, growing and adding value in your field.
3. I have often wondered what it is that employers want to hear when they ask you "What are your weaknesses?" Do you tell them you have a weakness for chocolate ?! or do you tell them your weakness is not telling people what your weaknesses are?? Can you make any suggestions as to how one should respond to this?? - Barbara, 
Our advice: This is a very common question. If you say you have no weaknesses, you come off looking arrogant. If you use humor here, you may appear too flippant. This is a difficult question and the interviewer wants to see how you handle it. Use a weakness that can otherwise be seen as a strength. Never fall into the trap of seeing the interviewer as mother/father/confessor and offering up something that is important to the job! A good example could be: "I have difficulty working with people who don't pull their weight. I have high standards for my work and I expect others to have high standards too. I'm learning to speak up and request that others contribute more completely long before I start getting angry about a situation that is unequal." Also supply a solution or a way in which you are dealing with your weakness.
4. I have three quirky questions that I have been asked over the years. Sadly, I did not have a good reply to them since I was too taken aback, and instead gave some flustered answer.
  1. Do you date a lot? [question asked by a female personnel officer in a US defense company]
  2. Why are you here today? [asked by an interviewer at an investment bank, when he entered his office where I was told to sit and wait to be interviewed by him]
  3. If a spaceship landed outside right now, would you get in it and where would you ask it to take you -- it can take you anywhere you want. [asked by an investment bank interviewer] - Kimberly,
Our advice: Each of these questions offers its own challenges. While the first question looks different because one female is asking another, you still need to answer the question in a way that satisfies the concern. A good response would be, "If you are concerned that my personal life could take precedence over my work life, I want to assure you that I am dedicated to my work. By the same token, I strive to maintain a balanced life and find numerous ways to spend my leisure time fruitfully." This answers the question without invading your privacy. 'Why are you here today' offers you the opportunity to explain your enthusiasm for the job. It is not such a quirky question if you don't take it at face value. It is important when interviewing to lighten up a bit and not analyze the worthiness of each question you are asked. Look for ways to respond that will improve the rapport between you and the interviewer and demonstrate your strengths in being the candidate for the job. "I am here to discuss with you my candidacy for the position of ________. Would you like to hear an overview of my background?" (It is also conceivable that the person was interviewing that day for more than one position.)
The spaceship question asks how adventurous you are. It is a great question for shaping according to what you know of the parameters of the job you are interviewing for. Let's say the job demands that you be innovative. You might answer, "Yes, I would go aboard and be asked to be taken back in time to interview the most innovative people who have ever walked the planet, asking them about their favorite means for becoming as innovative as possible."
5. Would you rather be a small fish in a big pond or a big fish in a small pond? A big fish in a small pond - I own the pond, but there is nothing left to conquer. A small fish in a big pond - There is plenty of opportunity to succeed!!! -
  Our advice: Sounds like you handled the answer well, but you need to be aware of the context in which you are responding. If you are interviewing for a large Fortune 500 firm, you'd be fine. But if you are interviewing for a small, entrepreneurial organization, you might come off as if you are too good for the company. There is no best answer- only the one that is most appropriate for the job in question and the situation in which it occurs.

1 comments:

sri said...

Excellent content ,Thanks for sharing this .,
How to start a podcast
Free teaching tools

Post a Comment